Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Oui, nous le pouvons.

We spent last night at the Americans Abroad party at the Burgundy Lion in Little Burgundy (historically known as Sainte Cunéonde). At the time, we didn't realize the significance of being at this place at this time .... in the late 19th century, most of Montreal's black community lived in Sainte Cunéonde, with immigrants coming from the U.S. and the Carribean. Many activist groups as well as Montreal's jazz scene had roots in this neighborhood. (For more, check out: melissa arcand)

It was crowded - mostly U.S. citizens living in Montreal, but a lot of Quebecois too. We met quite a few people. The early evening was characterized by a mixture of hope and anxiety. The early results roller coaster was surprisingly short lived. Three states held significance for us. Illinois, our beloved home state, was called early. Pennsylvania, where we fell in love and have a family of dear friends, made a strong statement (by the way, we knew it would). Ohio, where we lived for two years, where the polarization is a bit in your face, where you know you are in the battleground, made a decision, which changed the red state-blue state divide and made it pretty clear that Obama will be our next president.

I am not the type to put my hopes in an individual or to be emotional about politics. So, I was a bit taken aback by the relief and joy that I felt. It made me realize how much I long for healing in my country ... and perhaps this is a step in that direction. But also, that this is a historic day - one that I will recount to my nephews and nieces and (hopefully) my children and grandchildren.

We have enjoyed catching up with family, friends, and colleagues today - hearing their story ... where they were and how they felt. We look forward to talking more.

And, in case you wondering what Montreal is saying ....




... oue, nous le pouvons.

No comments:

Post a Comment