Sunday, February 7, 2010

It's a Girl! ... but what is her name?

Thirty-three hours after K's water started breaking, after many hours of active labor and pushing, after the contractions stopped and it was obvious our plans for a natural birth had to be changed, after a transfer from the birthing center to Jewish Hospital, after an epidural and pitocin, after her heart rate dropped to an unsafe level, after three attempts to pull her out with a vacuum extractor, and after a successful attempt to pull her out with forceps, our wonderful Hera joined us (on her due date, no less!)



I called K's parents, and they announced the arrival of Kira to friends and family. I called my mom, and she announced the arrival of Hera (pronounced Hair-uh) to friends and family. I called K's colleague, and she announced the arrival of Shira to colleagues. Shira even received welcoming flowers.



Nobody got it right the first time. I can only conclude that if they all got it wrong, my tired emotional self was not communicating clearly.

I will set the record straight. It's a girl. She is our Hera (pronounced Hear-upside down e, which blogger does not like, or Hear-uh), although we often call her Shira Kira Hera.

2 comments:

  1. Ohh.. her path into the world was a little rough, huh! I hope that the transfer, etc was a smooth as possible, considering. Having a 30+ hour labor myself, I can relate to the exhaustion. I know it is cliche, but you really do forget the extent to which it was exhausting and frusterating as time goes on.

    But I'm so glad she is here and I love her name. Why did you choose it? We can't wait to hear about her personality too! I'll have to call and check in soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole -
    It's funny - the lengthy labor part was pretty fuzzy even by the time she was born. The hospital part will take a little longer to get fuzzy, though.

    We're so happy she's here, too!

    Ketra

    ReplyDelete