Thursday, July 1, 2010

Happy Inflammatory Chair Day!

We have this chair
Last week was la Fête nationale du Québec and I had the foresight to remove the chair from the front of our apartment for the day. I figured that the chair wasn't the most polite thing we could display on Quebec's national holiday. I mentioned my good sense to a student who came over. He confirmed this suspicion - mentioning that the chair itself is more of a backyard chair, was slightly inflammatory, and perhaps was not something we should own.

So it's funny - to us, the chair is a symbol of how happy we are to be in Canada. Before we moved here, Canadian flag festooned items represented a nice, wholesome Canadian image. I wonder what the chair means elsewhere in Canada? Because - if they had one at Canadian Tire that day - we would own a fleur de lis chair, too. We're happy to be here, and continually a bit befuddled by the language/cultural politics that make life a little tougher, more interesting and cooler than any place I've ever lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment